Friday, February 24, 2012

When All Else Fails: Get Moving!


rusty wrench by rainwriter jones

====================================


Recently, I decided to update my LinkedIn profile. It sat there fairly stagnant, and I had been encouraged by one of my friends to finally flesh it out. Placing the details of my educational and employment background made me somewhat reflective. I saw the road on which I traveled to get where I am today.

Being quite a dogmatic person, I'm never satisfied with not completing a task to which I set my sights. I started at the University of Washington after taking a quarter break after high school. I didn't have the benefit of being "brainy," nor were my parents rich. Tuition was low, so I could afford to pay it with the little money I made as an employee in dietary services at the university's hospital. Well, the low tuition was short-lived and seeing as though I didn't received any grants or scholarships, I had to stall my education at the university, and go to a lower-cost community college. After obtaining my certificate in word processing, I found a job at two word processing departments. I was allowed to continue my university education while working at the latter insurance brokerage firm. I was very fortunate they allowed me this privilege!

So yes, it took me 8 years to complete a 4-year degree, but it was well worth it. From there, I obtained my nursing license, and I plan to continue furthering my knowledge base.

Today it is so much tougher to go the route that I did. With towering tuitions costs, the powers that be don't understand (or care) that it's harder to get educated. Like me, not everyone can get scholarships, grants, or loans. But sometimes you've just got to dig your heels in and do what it takes to complete the task before you. Take two jobs (three if you must): Just get it done!

I guess you don't need a high IQ to be sucessful: Just determined!

rainwriter jones